Saturday 11 February 2017

Daegu Venus! Kdrama review:Oh My Venus

Image result for oh my venus poster


This drama may not be one of my favourite,still I would say it was pretty satisfying. It was good but not great, so My review might not sound as good as you're expecting
The story line was interesting with some amusing characters.You have a strong and sassy female lead who only speaks her mind, a hot male lead who has an amazing body as he is a personal trainer, two cute boys who is extremely good looking and funny, what else do you need? The cast was great but somehow I expected more from this drama.the drama was well executed, but nothing revolutionary.

STORY:6/10
ENJOYMENT:5/10
CAST:8/10
OVERALL:4.8/10

PLOT

Kang joo eun was teenage star who was famous for beauty, but as she grew up, she gained a lot of weight and one day she gets dumped by her 15 years of boyfriend woo shik.
Kim young ho is a famous personal trainer to Hollywood star, who later on finds himself in a scandal with a famous actress, which causes him to run back to Korea. On the plane back to Korea, Young-ho saves Kang Joo-eun after she suddenly collapses.She later blackmails Young ho to help her lose the weight,Young ho and ji Woong and Joon Sung together they starts work on her physical transformation.


GOOD

 There are certain things that I completely appreciate and enjoyed in this drama which made me watch the drama till the end.It has certain unique originality but cheesy romance joins in.
  • A strong female lead:Shin Min Ah is gorgeous.Even in fat costume she looked adorable.I liked the fact that despite being an over-weighted woman she was straight forward, and didn't give a crap of what other has to say about her.She was confident,even when she was a teenager.She was young and pretty girl who was kind and confident. and after 15 years, when she gained weight she was the same person deep down.She was still confident and strong enough to not to care about anything.She fought with everybody alone.Her sassy behavior made the drama even more interesting.
Image result for oh my venus fat min ah



  • Our male lead complimented Kang joo eun very well, This was the first drama of So Ji sub I have watched although it wasn't a great first impression of him for me,I would say I am willing to watch few other dramas of him before I make any comments about his acting ability.
  • Their chemistry was strong,I liked the way they showed each other affection.Their romance was always respectful and mature. The way they talked to each other,adult way of discussing sex, being responsible for everything,these showed how they respects each other.
  Image result for So Ji-sub oh my venus
Image result for So Ji-sub and min ah oh my venusImage result for So Ji-sub and min ah oh my venus

  • I cherished Ji woong in the drama more than anything.He was adorable,hilarious and perky. I found his mix of korean-english very amusing and helpful to watch as I am a non-korean who's living her life with English subtitles. 
  • Korean snake was also a likable part of our trio boys.He was quite and often not joyful. Still, I found him strangely attractive for some reason.He had this mysterious side to him which later on was exposed.I actually enjoyed his side story than the main couple.It was enjoyable to watch him reuniting with his mother. and his stalker fan who is in deeply in love with him.the love story may have been cringey at some point, but it was short and sweet.The trio was one of the reason I was willing to finish the drama, especially henry! The way he always used to call Jo eun '' maam'' was the sweetest thing ever. The trio gave me the reason to like the drama,henry's adorableness, Korean snake's coldness and humbless and lastly Young Ho's mature-ness.Altogether it was a complete package of bromance, friendship and bonding.
Image result for oh my venus trio
Related image
  • another thing I surely enjoyed was there were bigger messages in the drama such as the benefits of healthy living, domestic abuse, and violence against women etc.It was never expected, as I was hoping for it to be a romantic comedy and I surely came to watch a rom-com drama, but these little elements made the story interesting.


BAD
  •  The drama was not constantly engaging, There were certainly some episodes that I couldn't enjoy at all and I found it extremely boring.I was so bored that I was constantly fast forwarding every scene I came across, which eventually led me watch an hour episode in 15 minutes.
  • The drama didn't had any bigger running conflict or an antagonist to keep the story thrilled.It was mostly about a woman who wants to loose weight and live a healthy life because she was upset that her boyfriend left her.There were moments that they completely ran out of the story and they had to use flashback more than enough.I felt like the story became too dull, even they tried to use too many ''cute'' scene, which was adorable but at some point it was too much to handle, for instance, The dimple popping scenes were cute but it was used excessively.
  • The drama was alright,I will not say I enjoyed it after skipping so many parts of the drama.I will say It was a good drama but I have seen better.Only reason I wanted to continue the drama was to see how the drama ends.I have to say the ending was disappointing and made me question myself about ji sub's character again.----Spoiler-----When he met her after so long and saw her over'weighted again, more than happy,he looked upset as she wasn't healthy anymore, and the first question was ''I can't see your dimple, lets exercise'' even though it should've been ''I missed you,how are you''. Did he actually loved her for past 15 episode??----End Spoiler----


Love,

Cherry



No comments:

Post a Comment